Thursday, May 14, 2026

Meet the Cougars

Hi, this is Eva, and I'm here to talk to you about Meet the Cougars!

Meet the Cougars is basically a club fair at Franklin, where the new freshmen come to see all of the clubs and find out which ones they want to join/are interested in. It's actually how I was introduced to High Q in the first place, so I think it's a great idea. And I'm graduating this year, so I really want to have some new blood to take my place.

It was about an hour and a quarter after school, so I stayed behind after last period and helped set up. I think our table looked pretty good (it had our trophies, a big sign, and most importantly a very easily visible bowl of lollipops) and it was in a pretty good spot too. After I helped set up, I just sat and read (and ate the dinner I packed)  until the event started.

And we actually had a pretty good turnout! We had a couple people wander over who seemed geniunely interested, and some people who seemed shy but grew in confidence after answering some High Q questions we had. To get more people to come over, we had a little system that if you attempted a question you got a lollipop, and if you got it right you got some Oreos ('smart cookies'). We had a couple people come over just because of that, but I think it also helped people see it as well. There was also this one girl who came over (she was a friend of Olivia's-another team member-I think) who seemed intent of challenging me to a battle of wits. She asked me a lot of questions, and seemed a little frustrated when I answered all of them. It was all in good fun, but she had a very serious face, so she was kind of scary....

Anways, I had fun! It was a lot of people and kind of loud, but surprisingly I wasn't completely drained after it! I talked to a lot of people and kept a smile on my face the entire time, and I was really happy to see a lot of people get club information off the flyers we had. It also made me realize how far I've come in public speaking. I used to panic over just asking the teacher a question, and now I can talk to people about High Q! It's nice. Overall, I'm glad that I went, and I hope that High Q can going after I graduate!

No comments: